Singapore Fact Sheet
Singapore is rightly proud of its unique and diverse environment and seeks to protect this heritage for future generations. As part of this process items being imported to Singapore are considered from several angles – Security/Safety, Customs Tax/Duty Revenues and Environmental Protection.
Used personal and household effects are duty free, provided they have been owned and used for at least three months, and the owner is transferring residence to Singapore and subject to an Employment Pass or work permit.
- Copy of passport with high-quality, legible scan of biography pages
- Employment pass application/acknowledgement letter or approval in principle from the Ministry of Manpower
- Singapore nationals will need proof of employment overseas (longer than six months) and undertake not to dispose of effects within three months of arrival
- Descriptive inventory of goods in English
In line with all countries around the world, importation to Singapore of foodstuffs or plant materials in a household effects shipment is not recommended. Items may be refused entry or may require a permit and any special examinations may cause delays and add inspection costs.
Allied local offices
Local to your new home
Allied are part of the worldwide Allied Network, who have long-established Allied offices in Singapore. We offer assistance with documentation and clearances and once Customs are finalised, we will contact you to arrange delivery to your new home.
How long does it take?
Allied load more containers to Singapore than any other Australian International Movers Association (AIMA) member and this ensures we can also offer more frequent departures.
Indicative transit times are as follows:
|Singapore||8-10 weeks||5-6 weeks|
Pets are permitted entry to Singapore but will be subject to:
- Health check no more than 48 hours prior to export
- Pet must be resident in Australia since birth or since being directly imported from Singapore
- Import Permit
- DEFRA Export Health Certificate
- Vaccinations no less than 14 days and no more than 12 months prior (Canine distemper, hepatitis, parvovirus)
- Treatment with licensed products effective against external parasites between 2 and 10 days prior to export
- Treatment with licensed products effective against internal parasites within the four days prior to export
- Pet no less than 12 weeks
The logistics are detailed and for this reason we would recommend asking Allied to refer you to an approved specialist in this area.
Right-hand drive vehicles under three years old are allowed to be Imported, though the owner will have to secure a Certificate of Entitlement in an open market bid. The customs duties (20% of valuation) and registration fees (300% of car market value plus shipping cost) on a vehicle make it impractical to import. It is not recommended to import a vehicle to Singapore in a household effects shipment.
Most modern televisions will work in Singapore. However with the advent of digital receivers it is inevitable that your television will need to be connected to the equivalent of an Australian Digital Satellite/Cable receiver in Singapore. It is worth checking with the manufacturer if you have any concerns.
Electrical items should generally work on the Singaporean system, though it is always worth checking with the manufacturer if you have any concerns.
- Drugs of dependence, narcotics, hallucinogens, amphetamines, barbiturates and tranquillizers
- Chewing gum
- Pornography and obscene articles – videos, tapes, discs and software are subject to screening by Singapore authorities
- Singapore is a signatory to the CITES agreement that controls trade and movement of endangered species
Restricted items or items likely to attract interest
- Alcohol and tobacco will attract tax and duties at a high level. It is generally better to avoid inclusion, full lists of types/size/proof/volume etc required if included and will require relevant customs permit applied for by the TradeNet system
- Videos, tapes, discs and software are subject to screening by Singapore authorities
- Canned or dried foods only and up to a maximum of 5kg.